Ways to Experience Erie, Pennsylvania: “There’s only one way to tackle life, enjoy a day at the beach, and jump into a Great Lake”
Summer is quickly coming to a close and we are squeezing in as much as we can before it does! One thing on our Summer list was a staycation in Erie, Pennsylvania. Not a large distance form our home, it is located on the southern shore of Lake Erie. it is Pennsylvania’s primary access point to the Great Lakes. There are many things to see, experience, taste and enjoy whilst here!
Let’s explore a few:
I was hosted to help facilitate my review. I was not required to write a positive experience. All thoughts, opinions and photos are my own.
1. Splash your Summer away. Enjoy a day at Waldameer Water park. Test out their new six lane Rally RACER water slide or relax in a Cabana. We arrive at the Water park right when they opened at 11am. I suggest grabbing a locker to store your items because they do not allow shoes, phones, sunglasses on any of the slides. Lines do form as time goes by but we did not have to wait long. On our visit we stayed in the waterpark for around four hours.
A side note, that was brought to my attention but nothing we personally experienced. Rides do close due to low staffing so just check their daily updates!
2. Try your hand at arcade games. Waldameer has a theme park aside form the Water park complete with roller coasters and carnival style games. I would suggest stopping at Guest Service, which is located in the white building next to carousel. You can purchase a “Wally Card” to play games, rides, purchase food etc. The entire park has gone digital ( no cash accepted) to help with cashier lines. It is easy to grab one with cash if you do not want to use your debit or credit cards at guest services.
3. Beach day anyone? “Presque Isle State Park is celebrating its 100-year anniversary. A new educational exhibit showcasing the history of the park will be on display from May 17, 2021 through August 23, 2021 at the Tom Ridge Environmental Center”. Stop off on any of the beaches for the day, explore their light house or just hit the trails. The nature trails here are perfect for roller skating, biking, hiking or even just to walk your furry friends.
4. Pack a lunch and visit some animals. We love venturing to the Zoological park in Erie, Pennsylvania. I have taken my son here since he was little! If you want to see our tips for visiting a Zoo just click here.
5. Take a hike. Following on our exploration of the regions near us, I discovered Asbury Woods. Believe it or not I found this gem on a Facebook post! The Asbury Woods consist of 205 natural acres of fields, forests and streams offer over 5 miles of breathtaking trails that are open to the public during daylight hours. Enjoy my FULL review HERE.
6. Let’s get ready to rumble. Lake Erie Speedway seem to have fun events planned every weekend in Summer. We personally have attended quite a few from the Nitro Circus, the Lantern Festival( pictured above) to their Wine, Brew and Food truck festival!
7. Art we there yet? We had the absolute pleasure of staying at the Sheraton on Bayfront. It is located in the Bayfront district FULL of history, arts, culture, shopping and restaurants. If you are looking for a great place to rest your feet, to host an event or just to getaway I high recommend a stay here. The convention Center is located right next door. Just walk outside and you can find a number a fun themed cruises including a Pirate Cruise!
8. Sip, Sip, Hooray! Did I mention Erie is right next to Northeast housing the largest contiguous, farm to farm of vineyards, east of the Rockies? I had the pleasure of taking an adult weekend with my fellow writers exploring the areas local wineries. Read all about it here if you are into that sort of thing!
Have you ever traveled to Erie, Pennsylvania? Did you find this “Ways to Experience Erie, Pennsylvania” post helpful?
If so, what places did you enjoy?
I would love them to add them to my next trip; just leave me a comment below.