“If you never tasted a bad apple, you would not appreciate a good apple. You have to experience life to understand life”. -Leon Brown
We had an absolute lovely time at Sceiford Quality Fruit in North East, Pennsylvania picking apples! If you haven’t been following along we tried checking off as many fruits to harvest this year. From Peaches, Cherries, Grapes to Now Golden Delicious Apples. While out picking we learned of other varieties of produce you can harvest. Which mean next year our list is twice as long! These harvesting trips are such a great way to involve the family while supporting our local farms.
No matter how many of these “harvesting posts” I share, I always get questions.
Here are my tips for picking apples:
1. Wear comfortable clothing and shoes.
2. Bring something to keep the fruit in. While the stand we visited had baskets to use, it’s best to bring your own. I suggest a basket or bucket!
3. They usually price per Quart and bushel.
4. Be mindful of fallen apples on the ground especially with little ones running around the fields.
5. Most U-Pick provide ladders or step stools you can use. All picking is at your own risk.
6. Never FREE Climb a tree! Seriously, it is so devastating to them and many don’t survive.
7. Search your local area to find farms. Try keeping your Social Media notifications on because many of the “U PICK” items are seasonal and weather permitting. The dates are ever changing due to weather and produce sells out quick!
Believe it or not this Panoramic capture was from atop the tallest ladder over looking the apple trees. It was such a nice day I had to stop for a moment and soak in the beauty.
I highly recommend a trip to Apple pick. If you are local the Sceiford Quality Fruit Farm is a great place to do so. They are located at:
11820 Middle Rd North East, PA 16428
Have you ever picked Apples??
What is your favorite variety of Apple??