I started blogging when my
son was very young. He was at home and I wanted something to do during his nap
time. At first it was nothing serious and I barely knew anything about
blogging. When I started, back in the day, I had a few followers and no social
media. I read tutorial after tutorial trying to get the hang of
this whole blogging world. I found myself excited to start this adventure. In
the beginning it was fun because let’s face it; I did not depend on it for my
lively hood! As my followers started to grow I became more and more determined
to figure this out.
This post was in collaboration with ad-hoc reporting. All opinions are 100% my own.
To this day you can find me sitting at home or at a coffee shop typing away on my laptop. Like I said in the beginning I had no idea how fast nor big my little “side hustle” would grow. It was a hobby, place to collect my thoughts and share with friends/family. Over the years it has turned into my main source of income, complete with new writers, my spouse doing my accounting and TONS of hours behind the scenes making this well-oiled machine stay in touch with the changing times! At first I had NO idea you could MAKE MONEY! I was honestly just happy with FREE products. No one can really make a living off free stuff. It was great for a while but my house became over flowing and my work load never ending.
You can make passive income or put in the hours and energy to make it a
lucrative source of income. It really depends on what you want. Once you decide
blogging is your career you need to know HOW to make money.
endless potential so harness it!
Main ways to make money blogging:
1. Advertising: I know ads can be annoying, but let’s face it they are a catch 22. Limit ads BUT do not forget them altogether! They are a great source of income. I use AdSense along with a few affiliates. Use places like ad-hoc reporting to find out what is appropriate and best to advertise on your site. These reports hold so much vital information! You don’t want to come off looking like a Billboard!
2. Sponsored Posts: This is when a company provides you with a product they want you do endorse as well as compensation ($) for an endorsement. I would like to suggest you only take these if you TRULY endorse the product. If you are a twenty something year old writing about depends on a website full of recipes… chances are your readers are going to smell ADVERTISEMENT and you will lose all credibility. That is how it goes and in this industry credibility is ALL you have!
3. Affiliates: Some companies will offer you a small portion of sales in exchange for helping them promote their product. Again pick companies you actually endorse. This helps you down the line when you have a larger following and companies want to work with you. If they know what you are about they will want to work with you.
4. Blogging Networks: These are agencies (middlemen) who work with companies that want you to post a sponsored post, product review or ad on your social media sites.
5. eBooks: this one might not be as obvious. If you excel in something teach others how to do it!
6. Consulting/Speaking engagements, Freelance writing or VA work. Blogging can open doors to so many fields. A friend of mine teaches about social media hacks and man I learn something every time I listen in on her lectures!
Honestly there are so many
ways to make money blogging that I would be lying if I said it was not easy to
Let me know how YOU earn money blogging?
What questions do you have about earning an income in this industry??